- I may have spoken too soon when, a few posts back, I commented on how time seems to be flying recently. ያለፈው ሳምንት አላልቅ ብሎ በስንት እግዚኦታ,,, በመደበኛው ጊዜ ሁለት ሳምንት ይወጣው ነበር:: Hump day was the worst. One disaster after another: a couple of screw ups in the electrophoresis front (does cluelessness and clumsiness come with the territory of 1st year of graduate school or is it just me?), a staggering electricity bill (ምጣድ የለኝ ካውያ), the rice that I made for dinner tumbling in its entirety into the sink (ባህር ዳር እያለሁ ቅንጬ የተደፋብኝን አስታወሰኝ:: ሩዙ ጨው በዝቶበት በሙቅ ውሃ ላስተካክለው ስሞክር –salt troubleshooting wisdom from my sister– የማይበጃችሁ ሰይጣን እንዲህ ድፍት ይበል… The world is one. We are brothers and sisters in rice. What makes us different is what we have with the rice), and at least one other bad shit I don’t remember right now. It was a series of unfortunate events. Thursday and Friday were not blemish free either, and like I tried to point out earlier, they were loooooooooooooong. I hope sitting down to write this post at this late hour as the weekend goes “later!” pays off in the future. I would come back to read this and remark either “ስንቱ ታለፈ?!” or “Man, I sure used to have it easy!”
- Embraced large scale cooking after a long hard consideration. I am no stranger to the concept by the way. Freezing and thawing, taking 10 ml of ወጥ in a graduated cylinder and filling up with water to the 100 ml mark ወዘተ:
- I have stocked four storage dishes with መኖ:: The permutation of foods that I can feast on is impressive i.e 4 x 3 = 12 i.e if I am open to eating pasta with rice. Right now, almost feeling like this dude:
What if my stockpile goes bad? Antibiotics may probably be harder to come by here than in Etyopia.
- No longer having to cook every night is expected to free up time to do more reading, starting with The Battle for God, Karen Armstrong and ከእንጦጦ እስከ ባሮ, እስክንድር ቡላቶቪች (ትርጉም በ ዶ/ር ዳኛቸው ከበደ)
ለሹሩባና ለጥርስ ብለው ዝሆኖቹን ጨረሷቸው:: And does that mean that an elephant is worth twenty times more than a lion?
- Conversation about the progress I have been making:
Me “አሁን ለምሳሌ በዚህ ሴሜስተር ብዙዎችን ሰላም ማለት ጀምሪያለሁ…”
GeTere “ሰው በስድስት ወር ውስጥ ገርል ፍሬንድ ይቀይራል አንተ ሰው ሰላም ማለት ጀመርኩ ትላለህ…” 🙂
- It is a tough job, being a bus driver. You are expected to wave back to fellow drivers and to respond to the “thank you”s of riders getting off.
- The nurses in the clinic keep asking me if I had been depressed lately. I am asked the same battery of questions whether I am there for a vaccination or to have an ingrown nail removed. I understand that it is standard procedure and that they are being thorough, but still,…